Q: Auto shutdown relay clicks and won't stop until negative cable is off

asked by on October 12, 2016

Every time I try to turn on my car it won't crank and the ASD relay fuse just keeps clicking. I got a new battery already cause I thought it was just a dead battery but no keeps clicking

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. This may suggest a short of some kind causing the power to continue to be supplied to the relay. The starter relay is a small unit near the starter that directs power to the starter from the battery. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound as you describe and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starting issue to determine the solution to get you back on the road.