Q: Airbag warning light is on on the dashboard a lot

A while back when my 2007 GMC Sierra had around 70,000 miles on it, the service airbag lights came on on the dashboard and I brought it in to have it serviced. They said it was something with the sensor and the light was back off. Then a month or two later I was in a high-speed accident and my airbags did NOT go off! I am very lucky the seatbelts must have been made by someone else! How can I ensure this does not happen with my next vehicle?

The first thing I would do is find out why they did not go off in the accident. If you were in a high speed front end collision, the airbags should have deployed. I cannot speculate if the prior repairs were the cause of the airbags not deploying. I did not see any recalls or bulletins pertaining to your airbags. You can verify your airbags are ready to deploy every time you start your vehicle-your airbag light will light up and then go out. This indicates the system powered on and the light goes out after a self test. If light does not come on and go out, or comes on and stays on, then you need to have system checked.

3. Airbag warning light is on on the dashboard a lot