Q: Airbag warning light is on on the dashboard a lot

A while back when my 2007 GMC Sierra had around 70,000 miles on it, the service airbag lights came on on the dashboard and I brought it in to have it serviced. They said it was something with the sensor and the light was back off. Then a month or two later I was in a high-speed accident and my airbags did NOT go off! I am very lucky the seatbelts must have been made by someone else! How can I ensure this does not happen with my next vehicle?

The first thing I would do is find out why they did not go off in the accident. If you were in a high speed front end collision, the airbags should have deployed. I cannot speculate if the prior repairs were the cause of the airbags not deploying. I did not see any recalls or bulletins pertaining to your airbags. You can verify your airbags are ready to deploy every time you start your vehicle-your airbag light will light up and then go out. This indicates the system powered on and the light goes out after a self test. If light does not come on and go out, or comes on and stays on, then you need to have system checked.