Q: air conditioning is not working.

my trucks electric cooling fans began running on high non stop, took in to repair shop, i was told that i had 500 psi on the high side and that my ac compressor was bad. need to replace ac compressor, orifice tube, and receiver dryer. i had the work done, but i was told it was going to cost extra because the receiver dryer was built into the condenser and they had to R&R the condenser to get to it. my question is, when i look for a orifice tube and a receiver dryer for my truck, i cant find them. is the receiver dryer the same thing as a header kit w/desiccant filter? even the ford dealer cant locate an orifice tube for my truck?

The Fixed Orifice Tube (FOT) for your vehicle should be the same for a Dodge and Chevrolet. The receiver dryer is molded onto the condenser, however, I recommend replacing the receiver dryer and the condenser as a unit rather than trying to service them. Now, if the pressure was at 500 psi on the high side, then the pressure relief valve should be replaced as it will only hold up to 500 psi. Either the valve was stuck or fused in placed. My advice on Air Conditioning is that if the FOT was plugged up, then the compressor has too much material coming out of the pistons causing the system to be plugged up. If you need further assistance with your air conditioning system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.