Q: air conditioner started making loud screeching noise and started only blowing hot air, then the noise stopped but still only blows

asked by on June 21, 2017

The air conditioner stopped working about 2 weeks ago after making a loud noise and started only blowing hot air. The noise then stopped but the air conditioner is still only blowing hot air and the noise hasn't come back. Also, we just had to replace the thermostat but the a/c stopped working before that was a problem

The noise is possibly from a failed compressor clutch or the compressor itself is faulty. Another possibility is the pulley bearing on the front of the compressor has failed. The issue should be fairly evident to the inspecting mechanic after some simple tests. To resolve this, the recommended diagnostic is an a/c system inspection. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.