Q: A bunch of warning lights just came on following a minor accident

asked by on November 13, 2016

I was in an accident on Thursday that caused some minor front end damage but the car appears to still be drivable. It's now Sunday and all of a sudden the red radiator light came on and the thermometer went up as high as possible. After a minute of driving thr thermometer dropped to as cold as it could go and the check engine, AWD and TRAC OFF lights came on. I had just gotten gas so I thought maybe it was because the gas cap was off but I checked the cap and it was tight. Any thoughts? I will be getting the car repaired but I was hoping I could still drive it in the meantime. Any hope it could be a sensor issue?? Thanks!

With the vehicle being involved in an accident, there can be damage to wiring and/ or sensors, particularly if the radiator was impacted in even the slightest. Make sure the coolant level is correct. Even with the level correct, there can be damage to the coolant level and / or temperature sensors, the radiator fan, etc. With those possibilities, as well as other warning lights on, it would be best to not drive the vehicle until it is inspected for all the damage at your local body shop. Continued driving with all those warning lights on can possibly do more damage to the vehicle than the accident itself.