Q: A battery saver active message came on this morning on my 2009 Chevy UPlander. Do I need to have the battery checked?

asked by on April 19, 2017

A battery saver active message came on this morning on my 2009 Chevy UPlander. Do I need to have the battery checked?

A logical first step is to have the battery load tested and, at the same time, measure the output of the charging system to determine if the charging system is functioning. If the battery fails the load test (OR only passes "marginally"), replace the battery. The charging system output has to be measured and verified though regardless of the status (condition) of the battery. In the event that a mechanic does not detect any fault with the battery (or installs a new battery) and charging system output measures within requirements, yet the warning light remains that would mean there is something wrong in the electrical system, probably in the charging circuit. Occasionally, though, alternators fail "slowly" or intermittently and thus if the light does remain a closer look will be required. In all events, if you request the battery load test, which will include an evaluation of your charging system, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.