Q: Auto trans - overdrive not working 1993 Dodge Dakota

The truck runs and drives fine shifts super easy but the darn overdrive isnt working its a 4speed auto trans in my 93 dakota v6 truck the truck shifts fine into 1st-3rd but does not go inti the last gear.

Hello - there are a number of possible causes for this behavior, which I will list in approximate order of hassle and expense to check out: after making sure transmission fluid is at the proper level and condition (slightly pink, rather than dark, with no burned smell), make sure the overdrive override switch (end of the gear shift lever) wasn’t bumped, preventing selection of overdrive, check transmission fuses (overdrive is electronic on this one), check the transmission temperature sensor (won’t select transmission if it’s too cold), then have the solenoid for overdrive (or it’s wiring) checked. If no problems are found while checking these off, I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Auto trans - overdrive not working 1993 Dodge Dakota