Q: 2011 Camaro SS A6 trans. performed a tune then reset car back to stock. now trans shifts slower 2-3 in D but not in S sport mode

asked by on October 28, 2017

Hi,

I installed a tune the other day on my 2011 Camaro SS Auto. I increased the shift points right at or slightly above redline to 6200RPM. The car ran great when driven aggressively but ran harsh when driven normally so I decided to remove the tune and reset my car back to stock. Now, the car shifts sluggishly from 2nd to 3rd gear during full throttle in just D mode. When I move the shifter to S sport mode, the car shifts 2-3 very quickly like it used to in D. I'm just curious why after going back to stock, the car seems bogged down in D mode but not in S mode. Prior to the tune, both D and S seemed equally aggressive. I've read that people have pulled #5 and #20 fuses to reset the ECUs mapping. Is this something that could potentially reset the engine/trans so it runs the way it used to? Again, this is just in D mode, the car runs perfectly fine in S mode.

Thanks, Andrew

The learned, adaptive shift points have possibly been lost or modified. With enough time, they will re-set. However, if you remove power to the PCM and TCM (both are involved in adaptive shifting), new shift points will be learned and those will presumably be "similar" to that which existed prior to the changes that you made. As always, you should check to see if PCM/TCM software enhancements and/or updates are available for your vehicle as such can be very useful and, if implemented, will also help to streamline diagnostics (by ruling out known issues) if a problem arises. If you want this confirmed, and have an on-site diagnostic performed, please request service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr