Q: 2010 Ford Taurus w/190K miles stalling when idle. Told it needs new timing chain and cam phaser. Is this true?

asked by on October 17, 2017

I have a 2010 Ford Taurus and it has about 190K miles. My car suddenly stopped running a few weeks ago and the repair shop said it needed a new starter. I replaced the starter and now it runs, but it frequently stalls whenever I come to a stop. The strange part is that it runs fine on the freeway and it can reach 60-70mph easily, but I have only have problems during idling. I had another shop run some diagnostics and the check engine light is on.

Here is what their diagnostics said.

Technician believes timing chains are stretched/camshaft phaser bad. P0018 Cam position retarded P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire P0022 Cam crank correlation bank 2 P0012 Intake cam retarded P0016 Cam/crank correlation bank 1

The estimate the shop gave me was 10 hours of labor for $950 just to have the engine torn down to do further diagnostics.

I know something is wrong with the car, but I think I could get a better price for this.

What do you think I should about this? Do you think this diagnosis is ac

The diagnosis seems to be what may be causing the many different codes since a timing chain and phasers can cause the stalling. The cost quotes is not out of line.