Q: 2008 Land Rover LR2 se. Over heating after cooling fluid was up in the day before. The car took almost 2galons when heated.

asked by on July 09, 2017

Bought the vehicle yesterday. The car notification indicated it was low on engine cooling fluid. I purchased fluid and put it in. Today after 1 hour drive the car overheated and I had no more fluid so I had to use water the car took in 2 gallons of water and after 30 minutes it took in another half a gallon. What can be wrong with the car? Can it be a leakage?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a coolant leak of some kind such as a failing water pump that may be leaking or potentially the beginning of a blown head gasket that may be causing the coolant to be burnt with the fuel inside the combustion chamber. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr