Q: 2004 f150 4.6l 2v was over due for oil change started making ticking noise checked oil very low. whats making the ticking noise?

asked by on October 02, 2017

2004 new body Ford F-150 4.6l 2v 105,000 miles was due for an oil change but I never got around to it because of work and then my son was born. I’m usually very good with oil changes I change oil and filter every 3-5,000 miles I use mostly use synthetic and always use the correct weight. But got busy and continued to drive my truck to work for about a month and then I started to hear this ticking/knocking noise. it’s more of like a fast ticking noise when I’m idling and it sounds like it’s up by the valve covers I’m not sure. I checked the oil and it was extremely low I had to put 3 quarts in. I started it back up and it was still ticking so I parked it haven’t drove it since. After a week I started it and the ticking noise was gone and everything sounded normal. I still have it parked I don’t want to drive it until I do an oil change and can take a look at everything. What do you think it could be? And when I do my oil change should I try any type of repair fluids?

Hi Mike. Thanks for contacting us today. The ticking noise is typically caused by low oil levels or low oil pressure problems due to excessive wear and tear with oil pump or dirty oil. In most cases, simply having the oil and filter changed, with the recommended type and amount of oil will resolve the problem. However, it’s also possible that the parts that are creating the noise (which is usually cylinder head hardware) is loose or worn out. I would strongly recommend AGAINST using any oil additives or ’repair’ fluids - as they typically create more oil restriction problems overtime. Start by having the oil and filter changed and see if this noise goes away. If not, have a professional mechanic complete an inspection to determine the source and cause of the noise.