Q: Engine Knock only during start up and acceluration, some oil found in spark plug well also. possible rod knock

2007 Scion Tc Auto, I have a somewhat noticeble knock only during startup( less than 3 seconds during turning over) and during acceluration between 2k-3krpm. During idle it sounds completely normal no abnormal tapping only slight value tapping which is said to be normal in these cars. I notice some oil on my spark plug and in the well of cylinder 1 during tune up other three are dry. Also smokes a bit near the headers near the first value. Could this be sign of possible rod bearing failure, or spark knock? no CEL or oil level lights are on.

A: Hi there: If you’ve found oil in the spark...

Hi there:

If you’ve found oil in the spark plug well is a sign of a fairly serious problem that should be inspected and repaired immediately. It is almost always due to a failing gasket or O-ring but can also be the result of a failing piston or worn valve guides. This could be the source of the engine knock and other issues you’re having. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a oil is leaking into spark plug well inspection, so they can determine what’s causing your issues.