2003 Hyundai Sante Fe Muffler noise mufflers santa fe 200...

Q: 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe Muffler noise

asked by on March 27, 2017

2003 Hyundai Sante Fe making loud, banging muffler noise. It recently passed emissions. I took the car to a local shop to replace a shock and 1 day later the car started a new noise that sounds like rattling and banging. Took the car back to the shop and they said that there are no issues with the shock and that the new noise is coming from the muffler as well. They said it is related to the muffler's hook. As for why the new noise started 1 day after they repaired the shock, they said "it was bound to happen since the car is rusted in the undercarriage." I don't question the original loud muffler issue but I do question the new banging noise that didn't start until they fixed the shock. So that brings me to a few questions: Is their explanation for the new, banging muffler noise feasible? What's the rough estimate cost to replace the muffler on this car? Will replacing the muffler actually fix this new banging noise? Many thanks for your reponse(s).

Hello, thank you for writing in. The hooks are simply what hold the exhaust in place. If the hooks on the bottom of the vehicle are broken, then the exhaust pipe and possibly the muffler, are banging against the bottom of your vehicle. These hooks are relatively cheap and easy to replace, and do need to be replaced when broken. While they are capable of breaking at any time with enough force, rust and other road debris do shorten their lifespan. Find the location of the broken hook, and see if it is anywhere close to the work that they were doing. If it was, then you may have an argument. If the hook is on the opposite side, then it is unlikely it was damaged during the repair. If the muffler is rusted out, clogged, damaged, or needs to be replaced anyway, replacing the hooks will not solve that issue. Speak with our service department about pricing and availability for an appointment.

Hi There, Unfortunately, when the undercarriage of a vehicle begins to rust, this can cause many problems with parts breaking and cracking due to the corrosive properties of rust. If the hook (also known as a hanger) for the exhaust system was cracked or corroded and on the verge of breaking, this could definitely cause a a rattling or banging sound as you describe. The rust is also quite likely the cause of the shock breaking as well as this would also be impacted by the rusting of the undercarriage. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle to determine the proper solution to the noise.