Q: 2001 X5 skips when braking

while driving for around 20-30 minutes truck begins to skip when i brake, as if the brakes aren't grabbing

I believe the issue you are experiencing could be due to one of two issues. The issue would depend on your meaning of skipping. The first issue that could be causing this symptom would be a faulty control arm bushing. These bushings are a common failure on many BMW vehicles. They will cause the front suspension to bounce back and forth especially during braking. This may be what you are referring to. It feels as if the front end of the vehicle is coming towards you when you hit the brakes. It also makes a clunk sound. However, you say the brakes do not feel like they are applying. If this is the case, it is possible that you have a faulty brake caliper. The brake caliper is what squeezes against the rotor in order to stop the vehicle. If the caliper is seized, it may not apply pressure to the rotor. I would recommend a brakes and suspension inspection to verify this diagnosis. Consider YourMechanic for this inspection as it can be done from your home or office.

3. 2001 X5 skips when braking