Q: 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII jumps, stalls, won't shift gears

While I was driving the car yesterday, it suddenly started jumping. I couldn't accelerate past 35 mph. I pulled over and waited a while. When I was about to continue driving, it started to do the same and stalled out. I tried restarting it and I managed to start the car, but it wouldn't shift gears. After waiting for some time, I restarted it again and it shifted and ran great. What might cause this?

Hi. The issue you are experiencing with your 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII sounds transmission-related. It may be low/contaminated transmission fluid, a faulty torque converter, or an intermittently failing shift solenoid. There are likely trouble codes stored within the vehicle’s onboard computer. I suggest that you have the computer scanned by a technician in order to diagnose the stalling and shifting problems. With a capable scan tool, the technician will then be able to perform function tests on the shift solenoid to determine if it is at fault.

3. 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII jumps, stalls, won't shift gears