Q: 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII jumps, stalls, won't shift gears

While I was driving the car yesterday, it suddenly started jumping. I couldn't accelerate past 35 mph. I pulled over and waited a while. When I was about to continue driving, it started to do the same and stalled out. I tried restarting it and I managed to start the car, but it wouldn't shift gears. After waiting for some time, I restarted it again and it shifted and ran great. What might cause this?

A: Hi. The issue you are experiencing with you...

Hi. The issue you are experiencing with your 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII sounds transmission-related. It may be low/contaminated transmission fluid, a faulty torque converter, or an intermittently failing shift solenoid. There are likely trouble codes stored within the vehicle's onboard computer. I suggest that you have the computer scanned by a technician in order to diagnose the stalling and shifting problems. With a capable scan tool, the technician will then be able to perform function tests on the shift solenoid to determine if it is at fault.