Q: 1996gmc sonoma dieswhile driving. the shopchanged spark plugs and after i replaced 2 igniyion coils. they say to replace fuel pump

my truck is dieing while im driving down the road. it would take 20 min. wait then it would start up. got a tune up, changed coils, not sure if the shop should of done more than a 499.00 tune up now they want change fuel pump. should ecm be checked as possible cause and wouldnt their diagonostic said if the fuel pump was bad?

Hi there. When you have a gradual issue that causes the engine to shut down after about 20 minutes, it is most likely caused by a restriction of fuel flow. This could be due to dirty fuel filters, fuel injectors or a fuel pump relay or the pump itself is wearing out. If it’s been diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump, they might be correct. I would doubt that the ECU is the issue, as this would most likely cause the vehicle to not start.

• 1996gmc sonoma dieswhile driving. the shopchanged spark plugs and after i replaced 2 igniyion coils. they say to replace fuel pump