Q: 1992 Pontiac Firebird runs great but has trouble starting 1 in 3 times (it just clicks) .

Hello, I have a 1992 Pontiac Firebird that runs great but about 1 in 3 starting attempts, it just clicks when I turn the key. After turning the key an additional 5-7 times the car seems to "catch" and starts easily, as if there were no problem at all. My mechanic told me this is a starter issue (has a dead spot) and that it would need replacing. Before I drop the money for a new starter, does this sounds correct or is there something he may be overlooking?

Hey there. YourMechanic is most likely correct. The gears on your starter have to mesh and catch the gears on the engine in order to turn it over. If the teeth on the gear have been worn down, it’s likely the gear will engage and not be able to catch. Once you get into that area and start to inspect the issues, you will need to need to make sure it’s on the engine side that won’t catch. The starter is much more likely to develop these kinds of issues. The worn down teeth will be noticeable. Compare them to the other teeth on the gears and you will find your dead spot. If you would like to have this taken care of by another technician, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to replace the starter for you.

3. 1992 Pontiac Firebird runs great but has trouble starting 1 in 3 times (it just clicks) .