Q: 06 acura tl has high incorrect 6500 rpm@70mph

My 06 aura tl revs unusually high (3000rpm@30mph, 4000rpm@45mph to 6500@70mph) often maxing out around 7000rpm, at which point rev limiter kicks in and car jerks, sometime stalling. It sometimes reaches 75mph briefly but I was afraid it might stalled at high speed. I was thinking problems with tach gauge, wiring, crank position sensor or transmission itself. Been yank around by couple auto shops spending ~$600 chasing phantom problems. Shift good, no codes. Your help most appreciative.

This may indicate a failing speed sensor. The transmission speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that provides information related to the speed of the input and output shafts in the transmission, allowing the transmission to shift smoothly. The sensor counts the internal number of revolutions of the transmission and transmits that information to the transmission control unit, where the data is used to determine the rotational speed. As the rotation increases, the control unit directs the changing of gears. When this is not working properly, this may cause the transmission to shift erratically or in some cases not at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr