Q: "Check gauges" light is on.

asked by on November 28, 2016

My "check gauges" light came on yesterday and I thought it might need an oil change and so I did that and now the light came back on today. I took it to an AutoZone place and they told me it might have something to do with my idle air control valve because the engine or belt (not sure where it comes from) is making a lot of noise when the car is running. Would the check gauges light be an indicator of this issue? How should I go about doing it? Can I fix it myself?

In most cases, one of the gauges on the dashboard may be reaching a high, low or inaccurate value to trigger the check gauges light. The idle control valve is not located near the belt but may cause starting or idling issues. If the charge indicator is low, this may illuminate the check gauges light to warn you the alternator may be failing. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and look over the vehicle to offer a more personal diagnosis of the warning light.