P2228 code definition
Barometric pressure circuit low
What the P2228 code means
This trouble code indicates that the powertrain control module has detected a low reference voltage from the barometric pressure sensor.
What are the causes of the P2228 code?
Some of the potential causes of this trouble code would include:
- The engine may be running poorly or have a misfire condition
- The barometric pressure sensor could be faulty
- The throttle position sensor could be misaligned or malfunctioning
- The mass airflow sensor could be faulty
- The catalytic converters could be restricted
- The powertrain control module could be malfunctioning
What are the symptoms of the P2228 code?
Symptoms of this trouble code that the driver could potentially experience would include:
- The engine may stumble or hesitate upon acceleration or at idle
- The fuel efficiency of the vehicle may be decreased
- The Check Engine Light may be illuminated
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2228 code?
A mechanic may begin diagnosing this trouble code by first locating the barometric pressure sensor, the mass airflow sensor, and the throttle position sensor. Once the sensors have been located, the mechanic would then check the wiring and connectors for any obvious damage. Then the mechanic would test all of these sensors using the manufacturer's suggested procedures. If any codes related to the catalyst system or oxygen sensors were also stored, the mechanic would check for a clogged catalytic converter. If the cause of the issue is still not found after all of these tests are performed, the mechanic will then test the powertrain control module using the manufacturer's suggested procedure and relay all information over to the customer.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2228 code
A common mistake that could be made when diagnosing this trouble code would be to replace the barometric pressure sensor without testing it first. Many times just because the code mentions a specific part a person may be led to believe that part is faulty. It is oftentimes the exact opposite.
How serious is the P2228 code?
This code is considered serious as it can cause driveability issues. Any trouble codes stored that can cause the engine to run poorly should be diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible in order to prevent further engine damage. It is also best to have the repairs performed by certified professional to ensure proper function of the engine afterwards.
What repairs can fix the P2228 code?
Repairs that can potentially fix this trouble code would include:
- Repairing a misfire condition
- Replacing the barometric pressure sensor
- Replacing the throttle position sensor
- Replacing the mass airflow sensor
- Replacing a faulty catalytic converter
- Replacing the powertrain control module
Additional comments regarding the P2228 code
It is not a good idea to drive on long trips with this code stored in your powertrain control module. These are the types of codes that can potentially lead to breakdowns and leave people stranded on the side of the road. As stated it is best to get something like this diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible in order to prevent further vehicle damage and the possibility of getting stranded.
Need help with a P2228 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.