P0141 code definition
O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
What the P0141 code means
P0141 is the OBD-II generic code indicating the Engine Control Module (ECM) has tested the O2 sensor heater circuit and detects a problem with the bank 1 sensor 2 oxygen sensor heater circuit.
What causes the P0141 code?
- The ECM tests the O2 sensor heater circuits at first startup and detects a short or open circuit, or an excessive current draw in the O2 bank 1 sensor 2 heater circuit.
What are the symptoms of the P0141 code?
- The engine may run excessively rich since the engine is in open loop.
- The engine may run rough and start to foul out spark plugs, causing misfires.
- The Check Engine Light will be illuminated.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0141 code?
- Checks the electrical connections or wire harness cover to the O2 bank 1 sensor 2
- Scans codes and documents freeze frame data, then clears codes to verify failure
- Monitors O2 sensor data to see if the heater circuit is working for bank 1 sensor 2
- Checks the O2 sensor heater circuit for power
- Checks the O2 sensor heater circuit for the proper resistance to specifications
- Follows the manufacturer's specific pinpoint tests for further diagnosis
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0141 code?
Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:
Check the O2 wire harness for water entry into the harness cover causing sensor shorts.
Check the O2 sensor for oil or coolant contaminants from engine leaks.
Scan the new O2 sensor to make sure the heater circuit works properly after replacement.
Check the removed O2 sensor for damage from a defective catalyst by breaking the sensor or clogging sensor holes.
How serious is the P0141 code?
The code is for the sensor behind the catalyst on the bank 1 of the engine.
O2 sensors are the fuel control feedback the ECM needs to properly control the injectors.
The ECM may stay in open loop until the O2 system is repaired or the O2 sensor starts working again.
The engine stuck in open loop will run extra rich and will burn more fuel and start to carbon up.
What repairs can fix the P0141 code?
- Clearing the fault codes and performing a road test to try and verify a failure
- Replacing the O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
- Repairing or replacing the wiring or connection to the O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
- Replacing the fuse to the heater circuit for the O2 sensor heater circuit
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0141 code
The O2 sensor heater circuit for bank 1 sensor 2 is used to heat the internal parts of the O2 sensor on bank 1 sensor 2 only, and the code can be isolated just to this sensor.
Need help with a P0141 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.