P0243 code definition
Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction
What the P0243 code means
P0243 is a generic OBD-II code indicating that the Engine Control Module (ECM) detected the turbocharger wastegate solenoid has an open or short circuit.
What causes the P0243 code?
The turbocharger wastegate solenoid is shorted or has an open in the solenoid.
The solenoid connector is corroded, causing an open circuit.
The wiring in the solenoid circuit is shorted to power or ground, or open circuit from a broken wire or connector.
What are the symptoms of the P0243 code?
The Check Engine Light is illuminated and the code is set in memory.
The engine turbo boost may not be able to be controlled properly and may underboost the engine.
The engine may lack power during acceleration if the wastegate solenoid is failing to control the correct amount of boost pressure.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0243 code?
- Scans codes and documents the freeze frame data in order to verify the problem
- Clears the codes to verify whether the concern comes back
- Checks the operation of the wastegate solenoid
- Checks the solenoid resistance to see if it is within specifications
- Checks the solenoid connector for loose or corroded pins
- Checks the wiring from the solenoid to the ECM for shorts or open circuits
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0243 code
Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:
- Check the wastegate solenoid voltage supply fuse for vehicle battery voltage.
- Check electrical connections at the solenoid for corrosion on pins.
How serious is the P0243 code?
The turbo boost pressure in the intake is controlled with the wastegate and wastegate solenoid on most vehicles with a turbocharger. If the solenoid is malfunctioning, then the ECM cannot enable and control the turbo boost, often resulting in a lack of power.
What repairs can fix the P0243 code?
- Replacing a wastegate solenoid with an open circuit
- Repairing or replacing a solenoid wiring connection with corrosion in the pins
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0243 code
Code P0243 is triggered by the ECM indicating a malfunction condition in the wastegate solenoid circuit; the ECM sees an open or short in the circuit. The most common failure is the wastegate solenoid itself.
Need help with a P0243 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.