B1914 code definition
The B1914 diagnostic trouble code is an indication that there is a short to ground in the air bag crash sensor #1 or the air bag crash sensor #2.
What the B1914 code means
The air bag system uses sensors to indicate when it is necessary to deploy the air bags if the vehicle is in a crash. If the air bag crash sensor has received a short to ground signal in the seat belt assembly circuit for at least 0.5 seconds, information about this error will be sent to the Air Bag Control Module. The B1914 diagnostic trouble code will then be stored and the check engine light will come on.
What causes the B1914 code?
- Faulty air bag crash sensor
- Faulty air bag
- Air bag crash sensor wiring that is frayed, broken, or shorted
- Air bag crash sensor connector that is damaged, corroded
- Air bag crash sensor connector that has bent pins
- Faulty seat belt assembly
What are the symptoms of the B1914 code?
- Air bag light is on
- Air bag system is disabled
- Check engine light is on
- B1914 diagnostic trouble code stored in Air Bag Control Module
How does a mechanic diagnose the B1914 code?
- Diagnostic trouble codes should be diagnosed in the order that they appear when scanned.
- Use an OBD-II scanner to collect all stored trouble codes as well as freeze frame data.
- Inspect the air bag crash sensor wiring for frays, breaks and shorts
- Inspect the air bag crash sensor connectors for damage, corrosion and bent pins
- Repair and replace crash sensor wiring and connectors as necessary
- Complete a test drive to see if the B1914 diagnostic trouble code comes back.
- If the B1914 trouble code comes back, check the air bag crash sensor grounds for good continuity.
- Use an appropriate scan tool to test the air bag crash sensor for proper operation.
- Disconnect the air bag crash sensor and the connector to the seat belt assembly and test the resistance.
- The resistance test should fall within range of the manufacturer’s predetermined specifications.
- If the resistance test does not coincide with the manufacturer’s specifications, repair or replace the no. 2 floor wire.
- Complete a test drive to see if the B1914 trouble code comes back.
- If the B1914 trouble code does come back, it is possible that there is a problem with the Air Bag Control Module. Although this is something that has been known to occur, this should be the last thing that is considered as the cause of the B1914 trouble code.
- If the Air Bag Control Module needs to be replaced, it is possible that it will need to be reprogrammed as well, but this will depend on the manufacturer’s requirements.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the B1914 code
The most commonly made mistake when diagnosing the B1914 diagnostic trouble code is neglecting to check the seat belt assembly circuit properly. Other mistakes that are commonly made are overlooking faulty wiring and not taking the time to follow the diagnostic steps properly.
How serious is the B1914 code?
A diagnostic trouble code is usually considered serious when it causes driveability issues or a change in performance. The B1914 diagnostic trouble code is serious because if this trouble code is stored in the Air Bag Control Module and the air bag light is on, the entire air bag system will be disabled. The air bags will not be deployed if the event that the vehicle is in a serious accident. For this reason, the B1914 diagnostic trouble code should be diagnosed and repaired as soon as possible.
What repairs can fix the B1914 code?
Replace air bag crash sensor
Repair or replace air bag crash sensor connectors that are damaged, corroded
Repair or replace air bag crash sensor connectors with bent pins
Replace seat belt assembly
Additional comments for consideration regarding the B1914 code
Always remember to disconnect the negative battery cable when testing or repairing the air bag system. Depending on the make and model of your vehicle there may be special procedures that need to be followed before before disabling and repairing the air bag system that are not included here.
Need help with a B1914 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.