Q: Why does the battery go dead if you forget to use park? 2013 Ford Edge

asked by on December 07, 2016

Sometimes I forget to shift to park , after a few days the battery is dead

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello - newer cars are designed with convenience features that keep certain systems (radio and other infotainment systems) "active" UNLESS the car is in Park. This means there is an on-going battery drain, which will run your battery down after a day or two. Most of these systems keep things active for 5-10 minutes, then shut down electrical loads - but ONLY if you are in Park. If your vehicle still drains the battery when storing it in Park, there is a problem with a parasitic drain on the battery, and I would recommend an electrical inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr