Q: Why Do Side View Mirrors Say That Objects Are Closer Than They Appear?

asked by on November 19, 2015

Why do side view mirrors say that objects are closer than they appear?

The right hand side view mirror is a convex mirror. It gives you that "fish eye" view instead of a more natural flat reflection. Convex mirrors offer you a wider field of vision than regular mirrors, but they have one major difference from typical mirrors; items that are reflected in a convex mirror are closer to you than they seem.

The peep hole in the front door of your house works much the same way. Whenever you look through the peep hole, you see everything on your front porch and they appear to be somewhat distant. However, when you open the door, you see that everything is much closer than you thought. If you happen to run into any problems, consider having a certified mechanic service your door mirrors in order to help you maintain safe driving visibility while on the road.