Q: Whining sound when I accelerate and shift from gear to gear. 1992 Ford F150

The noise is a whining sound that only occurs when I shift from gear to gear also when I accelerate. I had thought that this problem was my smog pump schreeching so I bought a belt that would bypass that pulley. Although it didn't eliminate the whining sound it eliminated screeching when starting the truck up. So I have been contemplating on what it was and I thought maybe my alternator bearing? I'm getting plenty of amperage so I can't tell if it is that until it goes out. So it's not my throw out bearing in my transmission because I don't have a 4wd. So maybe my starter dragging or what? I'm not totally sure. It's been acting weird when I start it though also maybe kinda sounds like a screeching and like it hesitates to start sometimes. So it could be the starter but I thought it disengages after you start the truck? Anyways thank you for the help!

A: Hello - you may be ruling out the throwout ...

Hello - you may be ruling out the throwout bearingthen too quickly, since your first symptoms are the noise occurs when you shift. Try taking the belt off (so that no engine-driven accessories are turning), starting the engine, then press the clutch pedal. If it screeches then, it's the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing. It is connected to the clutch, not the 4WD mechanism. For a bit of extra help, I would recommend you get this noise checked out by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.