Q: Whining noise from transmission and difficulty in shifting

When i bought the car, there was a grinding noise from the transmission when i used to accelerate or decelerate (just off throttle) and noise used to disappear completely when clutch was pressed. Today, The vehicle was driving perfectly fine in the morning, It was snowing for the whole weekend, the car was out in the snow. When i joined the interstate, the car started making a whining noise. A couple of miles later when i let go the throttle there was a big clunky noise. I took the exit and looked at the engine and it wont make noise when in neutral. Then i tried shifting into 1st gear and it won't go in first. The shifter knob got locked in various positions until i could actually get it into 1st and drive. The whining noise continued. Reverse was even tougher than 1st. Once in 1st, going into 2nd, 3rd,4th,5th isn't that hard and it could reach 70 mph as well but with the noise still on. I drove 20 miles to get back home Could you please advise what exactly is wrong?

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle has developed some sort of issue with the transmission, perhaps related to the hydraulic system, or with the transmission gears. If there is an issue with the vehicle’s hydraulic clutch system it may cause problems such as grinding or popping when putting the transmission into gear. The components to look at there would be the clutch master and slave cylinders. If the clutch appears to be engaging and disengaging properly then it may be possible that the issue is with the transmission, perhaps in the form of a bad throw out bearing, or worn transmission gears. Both of these could also cause a whining noise as well as difficulty changing gears if a problem occurs. I would also check the fluid levels for both the transmission and hydraulic clutch systems, as that could also cause similar symptoms. If you are unsure I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your transmission issues.

3. Whining noise from transmission and difficulty in shifting