Q: Whenever I apply brake, my car jerks back.

It happens inconsistently so I failed to find some patterns, but it happens usually while I'm driving around local areas, when I have to apply brake more often than on highways. When I apply brake, my car jerks back. It's hard to explain, but when my car comes to a stop, it feels like the brake is scratching something. It guess it might be related to disc or brake pad. Also, I'm not sure if it's rear brake that's doing this or front.

If it is brake pad related problem, or disc problem and I put an order for both rear and front, can the mechanic who comes to replace them check what the problem exactly is and provide services that are only needed?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. This is a common...

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is a common symptom of damaged or warped brake rotors. As you may know, your brakes generate a lot of heat when you apply them. They heat up and cool down repeatedly when the car is driven. Sometimes this can cause low spots in the rotors due to this heating and cooling effect. When this happens, this will cause an uneven surface to develop on the face of the rotor. When the brake pad is applied against the rotor as you press the brake pedal these two uneven surfaces may cause a vibrating or jerking type feeling as you describe. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to take a look at your brake system to properly diagnose more specifically what the problem is ensuring that only the necessary repairs are made and your issue is solved.