Q: When the car stalls it takes a few tries before starting back up

asked by on February 14, 2017

I was test driving the car and i stalled a few times and everytime i stall it takes a few tries before it starts back up.. But the lights on the dashboard comes on but the engine is just not turning over

Hello. The stalling problem and starting problem are generally two separate issues but they may be related if the fault your civic has is electrical, such a bad main relay. There are a wide variety of things which can cause stalling such as incorrect air flow metering which could be caused by a bad mass air flow sensor or inadequate fuel flow which could be from a clogged fuel filter. In most cases when a vehicle will not turn over it will be because of a bad connection, a weak battery, or a bad starter. I suggest that you have a technician evaluate your vehicle and inspect the starting system. The starting system includes the battery, the starter and the connections related to it such as battery terminals, cables or even fuses. It will also be a good idea to check your ignition system. The ignition system includes your spark plugs, wires and your distributor. If either one of those intermittently fail they may produce stalling conditions.