Q: When on short local runs around town the car does not want to restart! I take a 10 min drive on highway and it starts normal

On short local drives after a 10 min stop the car does not want to start, but eventually does like normal. Turns over but does not start until several attempts! If I drive on the highway for 10 min, the car starts normally every attempt. Please tell me what is wrong!

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. You may be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. You may be having a problem with the purge control valve leaking fumes into the engine when you shut off the car. The fumes will flood the engine and cause hard starts or no starts until the fumes dissipate. When you are on the highway, you clear out the carbon canister of fuel fumes and it takes a while to build up the fumes in the canister again. Try to hold the throttle wide open to restart the vehicle when it will not start to see if this helps get it started on the short trips. If this helps, then have the purge system tested or the purge valve replaced. If you continue to experience problems or would like to have a mechanic look at this for you, consider having one of our certified automotive technicians come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you.