Q: When I drive my power steering fluid leak and when I park in stop leaking

asked by on March 16, 2017

When I drive my power steering fluid leak and when the car is in park it stop

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi There, The reason your power steering fluid leaks when driving and not when the car is parked is due to the intense pressure of the fluid in the power steering system. The power steering system operates on very high pressurized hydraulic pressure (in some cases as much as 300 psi). As a result, the pump works very hard to maintain the ability to assist turning your steering wheel and when the pump is overworked due to the rack and pinion not pump fluid properly or potentially due to pinched fluid lines, this may cause it to leak. When this happens, as the pump loses fluid it may cause it to squeal or whine as a result of inadequate fluid. The lack of fluid will cause the hydraulic pressure in the system to drop and you may notice the steering becoming a bit more stiff when turning the wheel. Power steering leaks are fairly common, but should be looked at immediately by a qualified mechanic as power steering fluid can be flammable especially when under extreme pressure. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your power steering system.