Q: When driving my car my transmission wont change speeds it goes into gear just fine though.

My car will shift into gears just fine but when driving it doesn't want to change speeds it doesn't want to go pass 60 mph or 70 mph. What could that possibly mean . Will I need a new transmission.

I believe your Altima has a CVT, a continuously variable transmission that often enters a "Safe Mode" when one of three things occurs. First, the incorrect transmission fluid is used; second, the transmission fluid level is low; or third (and most common), the engine coolant to water ratio is too low. This can cause the problem you’re experiencing.

Your best bet is contacting a certified mechanic who will test drive your Altima and plug in a diagnostic tester to pull any error codes contained in the ECU. This will them diagnose the cause of the shifting problem so they can fix it for you.

• When driving my car my transmission wont change speeds it goes into gear just fine though.