Q: What should you do to check the tire pressure?

What should you do to check the tire pressure?

Keeping a close eye on your tire pressure is important. Underinflated tires wear poorly and can cost you a lot of unnecessary gas. Overinflated tires are more susceptible to punctures and damage from encountering debris in the road. They also wear out in the center (underinflated tires wear on the edges). Here’s how to check your tire pressure:

• Make sure you have an accurate tire gauge.

• Make sure you know the correct pressure – check the door placard on the driver side of the car.

1. Unscrew the valve stem cap.

2. Push the pressure gauge onto the valve stem and ensure the hissing stops.

3. Check the pressure reading.

4. Add air if necessary.

5. Verify that the pressure is correct after adding air.

6. Replace the valve stem cap.

7. Repeat this process for the other three tires, as well as your spare tire.

Tip

The pressure for all four tires plus the spare can be found on the driver side door placard.

3. What should you do to check the tire pressure?