Q: What should I know about tire inflation?

What should I know about tire inflation?

Part of your responsibility as a vehicle owner is ensuring that your tires are properly inflated at all times. Overinflated or underinflated tires not only wear badly, but they can be safety hazards as well. Here’s what you should know:

1. Always set the tire pressure according to the driver side door placard.

2. Underinflated tires will wear on the edges, and reduce your fuel economy. Overheating can also cause them to blow out.

3. Over-inflated tires will wear down the center and provide a harsh, jarring ride. They’re also more susceptible to damage from objects in the road.

4. Check your tires at least once per month (more frequently is fine). Check both the physical condition of the tires, as well as the pressure.

5. Never rely on your car’s tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). Always manually check your tires.