Q: What should I know about launching or retrieving a boat?

What should I know about launching or retrieving a boat?

A: Part of the benefit of owning an SUV is bei...

Part of the benefit of owning an SUV is being able to do things like taking the boat out to the lake. However, in addition to knowing the rules of towing with your specific vehicle, you also need to know a few things about launching and retrieving a boat. Here’s a brief look:

• The lower edge of the bumper should be the only thing in the water (don’t let the water level rise higher).

• Breaking waves should go no higher than six inches above the bottom of your bumper.

If water rises higher than these limits, it can enter your vehicle’s systems (your exhaust, the interior, etc.).

Tip

If your rear axle is submerged, have the lubricant replaced.