Q: What’s the correct procedure for driving?

What’s the correct procedure for driving?

A: Whether you’re an old hand at driving or th...

Whether you’re an old hand at driving or this is your first vehicle, it pays to know the specifics regarding getting your car out on the road. While it’s not terribly complicated, there are a few things that should be done in the right order to ensure safety at all times. Here’s what you need to know:

Starting Out:

• Crank the engine with your foot on the brake.

• Wait for the dash warning lights to go out.

• Disengage the parking brake.

• Put the transmission in drive.

• Release the brake and easily press the gas.

To Stop:

• Press the brake pedal (while the transmission is in drive or reverse).

• When the vehicle stops, engage the parking brake.

• After you’ve come to a stop and set the parking brake, put the transmission in park.

• Turn off the engine.

• Remove the key.

If you have a smart key system, make sure you have the electronic key in your pocket before getting out of the car.