Q: What precautions should be taken with the air bag system?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What precautions should be taken with the air bag system?

Your car’s air bags are designed to keep you and your passengers safer during certain types of impacts. However, they can pose dangers on their own. air bags inflate very quickly, and if you’re sitting too close to the steering wheel or the dash, or you’re not sitting correctly in the seat, they can cause burns and other injuries. Here are a few important precautions to take with your air bag system:

• Always sit as far back in the seat as possible.

• Never let a child sit in your lap, or stand in the front floorboard.

• Never drive with anything resting on your knees, or on the knees of the front passenger.

• Always sit upright – don’t lean against the door.

• Don’t attach anything to the center of the steering wheel, or to any other surface covering an air bag.

• Don’t use seat covers that cover the side air bag on either front seat.

• If an air bag cover is cracked or damaged, have it replaced.

• If an air bag inflates, don’t touch any part of it (or any air bag component) as it will be very hot.

• Never attempt to modify or repair your air bag system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr