Q: What is the proper sitting position?

What is the proper sitting position?

It might not seem like it, but your sitting position while in the car is of critical importance. If you’re not sitting right, the seat belts won’t work correctly, the air bag may not deploy, or might injure you when it inflates, and the head restraints will not be able to do their job. Here’s the right position:

1. Sit all the way back in the seat.

2. Sit upright – don’t lean to the right or the left (this will actually turn off the side air bag in the passenger front seat).

3. Make sure the head restraint is positioned correctly.

4. Make sure the seat belt is positioned correctly, with the shoulder belt across your chest and running over your shoulder.

5. Never ride in the passenger seat with your feet on the dash. Your feet should stay on the floor at all times.

6. Never recline the passenger front seat fully unless the car is parked.