Q: What is the auto power off function?

What is the auto power off function?

Your car might have a mechanical engine, but your accessories run on electricity (the engine actually needs electricity to operate as well). The battery is responsible for sending electricity to the engine during the cranking process, as well as for powering the electronics when the engine isn’t running (when the alternator isn’t turning). Obviously, that means you need to safeguard your battery and prevent it from running down. Your car’s auto power off function helps do just that.

If you leave the start/stop button turned to accessory with the transmission in park for more than an hour, the ignition automatically turns off and the electricity to the accessories shuts down. You can crank the engine normally when this happens.

3. What is the auto power off function?