Q: Why do some cars with AUTO headlights not turn on the taillights also?

asked by on December 30, 2016

A mazda with headlights on Auto will not turn on the taillights automatically.

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The automatic lights you are referring to are likely the Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs). These are an automatic safety feature that is more for other drivers around you than for your driving comforts. This system does not turn on the tail lights, and they are dimmer than your normal headlights. You may often see drivers in rain or dark conditions without taillights and dim headlights. These people are likely not paying attention to their vehicle. Look to your owner’s manual for more information on the lights and how to best utilize them. With that being said, if your tail lights are not working when they should be, then you are going to need some electrical testing done. In this event, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.