Q: Warped rotars

asked by on September 18, 2016

I would like to know if the electronic stability control could cause all four of my rotars to warp in my car. The light came on a few times. I live in the country and have just now hit the one year mark of owning it. There was a recall on the Electronic Stability Control Sensor and was wondering if that may have caused this problem. I have heard of warped rotars from getting hot but not all four at once from day to day use.

Hello. I will be glad to help you with your question. There is no failure mode of the ESC system that would cause, or lead to, warped rotors.

The only explanations for a problem of that sort is continuous, or frequent, riding of the brakes, the possible replacement, unbeknownst to you perhaps, of the factory OEM rotors with sub standard aftermarket products (many such aftermarket rotors will warp for sure, no matter what you do), a malfunction in the brake system that causes a failure at each wheel of the brakes to retract once applied and released, or a failure to properly torque each wheel position’s lugs nuts in the correct sequence and to the correct torque.

If you think the rotors are warped, such would have to be diagnosed. If and when you do buy replacement rotors, to avoid the issue of sub-standard imports, buy AC Delco rotors, OEM rotors from the dealer, or rotors from a known reputable source.

To avoid installation issues, be sure you are using a calibrated torque wrench and are tightening the lug nuts in the correct sequence.

A proper diagnostic of your brake system and warning light can be done at your home or office by YourMechanic and depending on the finding, the appropriate repair can be accomplished. Thank you for your question.