Q: Q: Idles and stalls again.

My car began to start hesitating, and got to the point where it would shut off when i came to a stop. The rpm would drop below 1,000 while in drive and at a stop. I had a hole in the flex pipe in which I got replaced. The car continued doing the same thing and began to get a little worse. I had the muffler replaced and within a week, the car got really bad shutting of in neutral and in drive. Now, it will not start. Do you know what that can be?

It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. This is also an important function when starting the motor as it allows the motor to run and idle on it’s own once the motor fires. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your idle air control valve.

3. Q: Idles and stalls again.