Q: Van stalling after sitting for years

The van has sat for several years. It will not start unless I pour gasoline directly into the carburetor, and then only stays running for a little bit before stalling. I think it is a plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. I only need to get it running enough to get it out of the backyard.

Hi, you can test the fuel pump by turning the ignition on without starting the engine. Listen for a small buzzing sound near the fuel tank. This is the fuel pump priming, or readying itself for the vehicle to be started by building up pressure in the fuel lines. If there is no sound from the pump it may need replacing or may have a wiring issue. One of our certified technicians would be able help pinpoint the exact cause of the stall.

3. Van stalling after sitting for years