Q: Q: Valve cover gasket replacement.

What is the difficulty level to replace the valve cover gasket on a 2004 Lincoln Aviator? What parts will I need to do it myself? Also, Does the valve cover need to be torqued to a specified weight?

The engine in this vehicle is a DOHC 4.6 liter engine. The replacement of the valve cover gaskets require the mechanic to be at a mid level of experience or lesser experienced mechanic using the proper manual for the repair. You will need to know how to drain and refill the cooling system. Remove valve covers following basic components removal for access to both valve covers. Remove all the ignition coils. Remove all the cover bolts and remove cover. You will need coolant, valve cover gaskets and ultra grey silicone sealer. Replace gaskets noting where silicone was put on head at joints and tight curves then cover put on within 4 minutes or sealer will need to be cleaned out and new put on. Install cover and torque bolts evenly until a final torque of about 85 inch lbs. Reinstall all the removed parts for access and refill coolant. This would be a good time to change oil and filter. If you do not feel you can do the work then have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic do the work for you.

3. Q: Valve cover gasket replacement.