Q: Truck won’t start and I installed a new battery, I get power but once I try to crank the truck I loose all power.

I installed a new battery in my truck last night and it cranked right up but I went out this morning and it won’t crank I get power but when I try to start it I loose all power and it won’t crank or anything

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

3. Truck won’t start and I installed a new battery, I get power but once I try to crank the truck I loose all power.