Q: Transmission fluid change necessary?

Not sure if I should change my transmission fluid, truck does sit a lot. Pulled dipstick, fluid appears in good shape, still a maroon red, not burnt. Truck is a 2500 silverado, with the 4l80E. 1999.

Your transmission fluid should be changed as recommended by the manufacturer. Look in your owners manual to see what mileage you should change the fluid. Most manufacturer’s say about 60,000 miles for most vehicles. Some newer vehicles do not have a recommended service interval and is lubed for life. I would recommend following your owners manual. Your vehicle may not have a needed service interval unless a problem is needed to be fixed, like a leak or a need to repair something internal in the transmission. Do not service the transmission unless directed to do so. Sometimes servicing the car when it is not needed can cause the transmission to start having issues. If your car is starting to sit, and you find that you need a transmission fluid service, a mechanic from YourMechanic can perform this task for you.