Q: Transmission does not shift right, really slow

asked by on November 02, 2015

The transmission in my 2006 Ford Explorer shifts out of gear whenever the vehicle isn’t moving. This problem is going to get me rear-ended one of these days! Whenever I shift into drive or reverse, there is a noticeable delay getting into gear. I just passed 100,000 miles so I expect some issues, but this is just bizzarre. What can be done?

The A/C drain water may be running down and getting into the transmission solenoid shift connector, causing erratic shifting issues and giving check transmission codes. Ford has come out with Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 9-22-15, dated 11/16/2009. The TSB instructs to verify A/C drain water running on to connector, remove and clean the connector, and add dielectric grease to keep out moisture, adding a protective shield. Clear all codes and road to verify fix.