Q: Tie Rod Replacement

My Hyunda dealer told me I needed an alignment on my Santa Fe. When diagnosing a problem I have he said my Tie Rod need replacement. He wants to charge me for the alignment. I said that I thought an alignment had to be done when replacing the Tie Rod. He told me not true on a Hyundai. I called another dealer and they said an alignment has to be done when you replace the tie rod. Which dealer is correct?

Hi there. I believe what you are hearing from both dealers are what has recently been referred to as "alternative facts". Here is the truth. A suspension alignment is an inspection and adjustment of all the mechanical components that comprise the front end suspension system. Each part needs to be properly "aligned" in order to ensure the tires contact the ground equally for maximum efficiency, handling, braking and performance. The tie rods on ANY vehicle are a part of the suspension system and are often the root cause of a suspension becoming out of alignment. Anytime you replace any suspension component, a suspension alignment SHOULD be completed. So, if the original mechanic completed an alignment on your car and determined the tie rod was damaged and needed repair, the "service" of the alignment check was performed; and should be charged. If it were my shop, I would not have charged for (2) alignments; only one. However, each shop or dealership has different policies. Hope that clarifies the issue.