Q: Thinking of buying car. Battery changed in April 2016. Acura dealership multi-point check is showing battery failing. Could this b

Thinking of buying car. Battery changed in April 2016. Acura dealership multi-point check is showing battery failing. Could this be a sign of a bigger problem? What would cause batter to fail test that quickly?

A: Many things can cause a battery to go bad. ...

Many things can cause a battery to go bad. The vehicle could have sat for an extended period, draining the battery to almost dead. The clock, seat memory, radio memory, the alarm system, all pull a bit of voltage at all times causing the battery to go dead if left for an extended time. If the battery is not charged properly, it could cause damage internally to the battery. The battery may have been shorted at some point in time. It could also be a faulty voltage regulator, allowing the alternator to charge and discharge the battery very rapidly. This is called AC ripple hat can be tested for. I suggest having a YourMechanic perform a pre-purchase vehicle inspection to confirm what the dealership has found and to determine if there is any problems with your charging system.