Q: The easiest way to empty the radiator

I have an old car with vertical plastic radiator tanks. The hose is connected to the right side and it has a radiator cap on the left. Can I siphon the old coolant through the radiator cap? Also, I am about to clean the car and replace the air and gas filter.

Yes, you should replace the air and gas filter. You don’t want to change every so many years because they get old and dirty and wear out. You can siphon only a little out through the radiator cap.

If you really want to empty out the radiator, the easiest thing is to just go to a bottom of the car when it is cold then unscrew the bottom radiator hose because that is just rubber and you can pull the bottom radiator hose off and drain it that way.

Now, some cars have drain plug on them and some don’t. But the problem is that no one hardly ever uses those drain plugs. So if it has been sitting there for 8 or 10 years, and you are trying to get that drain plug off, most of them are plastic and sometimes they snap off and break, in which you would have to replace the radiator. So it is much safer to take the bottom radiator hose out and then it will drain it perfectly fine that way. If you need help, you can have a professional mechanic perform a radiator flush for you, fuel filter change, and air filter change for you.

3. The easiest way to empty the radiator